Monday, August 30, 2010

Blog Assignment 1

My name is Katherine Alexandria Kirby. I am currently a sophomore at the University of South Alabama. I have a double major and a double minor. My majors include Secondary Education and English and my minors are Spanish and French. I am nineteen years old and have lived in Mobile and Baldwin County. I graduated from Robertsdale High School in May of 2009. I am aiming to be a high school English, Spanish, and/or French teacher. What has driven me to this goal is my experience with those in the teaching profession and the way they helped me through difficult times in my life along with my love for cultures and languages.
I was born in Mobile but put into foster care at the age of five. At the age of eleven I was moved to a home in Robertsdale, Alabama. For those of you who have no clue where this small town is, it is located in Baldwin county about thirty minutes North of Foley. I attended school in Robertsdale from sixth to twelfth grade. Throughout this time I always had difficulties within my home setting. The only things that kept me going were school and my teachers. School grew to be my haven. When I was there I wasn't at home. Any day I wasn't home was, of course, a great day. Many days I would go to school upset about the way things were going at the house and throughout the years I found teachers weren't in the teaching field for the money but, rather, because they actually cared about others. In March of my senior year I ran away. I finished high school in Robertsdale with my social worker signing off as my guardian. I finished high school with a 3.739 overall GPA and a presidential scholarship to the University of South Alabama. After running away, college was all I had left. I changed my major to Civil Engineering last year but changed back to my current majors due to my drive to give back what I was given by my teachers.

2 comments:

  1. It is so cool that you have a double minor in French and Spanish. I took a class of French and loved it but I can not go any farther with it because I can not pay for it right now. It seems that you have made it through a lot and I think it is amazing that you do so well in school despite everything.

    ReplyDelete